Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Prayer Walk

"Be anxious about nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be make known to God.  And the peace of God which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.  The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you."  Philippians 4:6-9

Well, here we are, sitting on the most beautiful farm on the planet (to us, anyway), with our hands tied and without a job.  How easy would it be for us to go into our usual "fix it" mode and start hunting the panic button?  Extremely easy!!!  We are thinkers and fixers and we could certainly come up with some way to "make it".  But everything in us was pointing back to God.  Everywhere we looked we saw that God was in control, not us.  Anything we tried to do on our power was going to end us up in a mess and we were going to be really sorry, again, to have stepped outside of what God had planned for Whispering Pines.

Is it really possible to live out that verse in Philippians?  Is there really any way that God expects us to hear that we are without a job and to NOT be anxious?  How can we possibly "dwell on" things that are true, lovely, of good repute, excellent and worthy of praise when we don't know how in the world we are going to make it?

BECAUSE.... we have chosen to pray, to tell God about what scares us, to tell Him exactly how thankful we've been for every single day He's chosen to give us out here at the farm, and to ask Him to have His own way with us and everything in our lives.  We chose to pray rather than to be anxious.  There's really a part of me that feels like I should be scared or upset, but God delivered on His promise and He has guarded my heart and mind from those "feelings".  I've lived in want before and I know God was there to provide for me.... so even if we have to leave the farm, now, I know that God will continue to take care of me and my family.

We have moved in our story up to Thursday night.  My parents arrived safely to the farm and we were so very happy to see them!  They brought with  them my precious niece, Taylor Beth, and I can't tell you how excited I was to have them here.  Paul and I talked about whether or not to share this news with them, but we both decided to just hold off and let them celebrate Ryan for now.  We had a great dinner together and a good visit that night... but they were tired and it was time for bed.

Once again, God was in the mood to talk in the middle of the night!  See, He does  know me well enough to know when He can get my undivided attention!!  This time He gave me some specific instructions.  I was told to have a prayer walk at the farm.   Our friends could join with us and cry out to God for His own will to be done on the farm.  Right then and there I got up and went to my computer.  I drafted an email explaining our situation and calling on my friends/family who pray to join us at the farm to walk and pray over the land on the upcoming Monday night.  I asked them to send in Bible verses if they were impressed to do so and that we would have scriptures printed off on pieces of paper that we could pray back to God for that night.

I woke the next morning, with only a couple of hours of sleep under my belt, and bouncing off the walls!  Do you know how very cool it is to get to spend the night awake with God?  That morning I had breakfast for my family and took coffee out to my folks in the yard.  As I carried the coffee out to them, God told me it was time to share this great story with them.  I can't help but cry when I tell the story, but they both knew immediately that the tears were filled with pure joy to know that we were in God's hands and that's the safest place for anyone to be!  They were both so very supportive of me and became actively involved in the warrior "plan of prayer attack".  It seems like the ones I was trying so hard to protect from "bad news" (our friends and my family) were the first ones to gather up their weapons and arm themselves for the fight!

I wish I could include all the emails and calls that I received from my friends about the prayer walk!  I was completely blown away by all the love and support of these precious people.  I will, however, attach a list of the scriptures that were sent to me... whether directly to me by God or friends... so you can use them as a comfort in  your own life.  The greatest thing about God's word is that it is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword!  It really is the greatest weapon we have to fight through this battle called life that we are in.

When the word went out inviting my friends to come and pray with us I fully understood how very busy everyone is and that at such short notice there might only be about 4 or 5 of them that could come.  We surely weren't expecting everyone to come out there just for us... but God told me to invite them and I did.

Monday was a little bit of a rough day.  Sam went home with Mom and Pops to Oklahoma.  My flight to Bend, Oregon was set for very early on Tuesday morning, so they were going to help us out by taking care of Sam while I was gone.  Seeing them leave is always a bit of a heartbreak for me.  I know we have to be separated by miles... but that never makes it much easier on my heart!  So they left that morning and Paul and I worked around the farm, taking care of the horses and getting things ready for me to be gone for those next few days.

That evening at about 6:20pm, we were still there, under a cloudy sky, waiting to see if anyone would be able to come out and pray with us over our farm.  I had made copies of the scriptures that we were going to use and they were ready to hand out to those who wanted to use them.  And then just before 6:30pm it happened... we looked down our driveway and we saw cars coming in with their lights on.  I don't know if you remember the old movie, Field of Dreams, but that's exactly what it reminded me of! Our friends were coming to be with us and to ask God's blessing on this place!!!  We were completely overwhelmed.  There were about 30 people out here that night!  We met over by the corner of Legacy's corral and handed out the scriptures that they had all sent in.  Then we talked with everyone and told them they could stay here as long as they wanted, or if they could only stay a few minutes before they had to go, that would be fine, too.  We explained to them so they would clearly understand that we were not asking for prayer to "save the farm" for Rhonda and Paul.  Our single focus was that God's will be done!  Whatever He has for this place is our one desire.  Whoever He has to do the work is who we will support.  Dr. Mayfield prayed briefly for us as a group and then everyone began to silently walk over the entire 60 acres of Whispering Pines Ranch.

I mentioned the cloudy evening earlier... Cloudy and still is so very common here.  In Oklahoma, the "wind comes sweeping down the plains" on a regular, daily basis.  But in Mississippi, if the wind picks up its usually the sign of a storm!  But not on this night!  As we held hands together in that circle of prayer, and as Dr. Mayfield began to call on God to bless this place, a soft breeze began to blow over us.  I have a couple of precious warriors who felt it, too.  Sandy and Barbara came to me after we were finished to asked if I'd felt it or not.  I want you to know that people usually find what they are looking for... and my sisters and I were looking for the face of God.  On this night, we found Him.  On this night, He was so close that He breathed on us!

My walk carried me directly to the front gate of Whispering Pines Ranch.  My focus was to pray over every single person that would ever come down that road, that God would touch them with His Peace and give them the Hope that they were desperately seeking.  At the entrance to the farm there's a sign that reads "Whispering Pines Ranch", and beneath it Joell and I have made a little flower bed.  Back behind the sign is a stand of pine trees that belong to the landowners adjacent to us.  I stood there, as quietly as I could, and I heard it for the first time.  As the breath of God came across those trees I could hear them whisper!  Until then I had never understood the name of the farm we'd acquired... but now I know.  "Cease striving and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10  Some versions say "be still and know that I am God."  Either way, He whispered comfort and peace into my life that evening... causing me to be still and to cease striving!  I KNOW THAT HE IS GOD!






A very special 'thank you' to my friend and photographer, Traci Massey, for being there to pray with us and record some of the most beautiful pictures I've ever seen in my life!  To know that so many people came to be in the presence of God at this farm means more to me than these feeble words of mine will ever be able to express.  

Our battle here is not over.  We are sitting here today without answers from God about the details regarding our future.  We are moving forward every day, caring for the horses and the land, but we do not know what the future holds for our family.  However, we are excited about all the things that God is continuing to show us, and that He's willing to confirm daily that He is God and He is, in fact, in complete control.

Be encouraged today by the Prayer Walk Scriptures that were and are still being prayed over Whispering Pines Ranch.  Take the Word into your own life and know that God's promises are for all His children:

Prayer Walk Scriptures
1 Chronicles 4:10  Now Jabez called on the God of Isreal, saying, “Oh that You would bless me indeed and enlarge my border, and that Your hand might be with me, and that You would keep me from harm that it may not pain me!”  And God granted him what he requested.
1 Kings 18:37  “Answer me, O Lord, answer me that this people may know that You, O Lord, are God.
James 5:11  We give great honor to those who endure under suffering. For instance, you know about Job, a man of great endurance. You can see how the Lord was kind to him at the end, for the Lord is full of tenderness and mercy.
1 Peter 1:6  So be truly glad. There is wonderful joy ahead, even though you have to endure many trials for a little while. These trials will show that your faith is genuine. It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold—though your faith is far more precious than mere gold. So when your faith remains strong through many trials, it will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed to the whole world.
Job 39: 19-25      "Do you give the horse his strength or clothe his neck with a flowing mane?  Do you make him leap like a locust, striking terror with his proud snorting?  He paws fiercely, rejoicing in his strength, and charges into the fray.  He laughs at fear, afraid of nothing;  he does not shy away from the sword.  The quiver rattles against his side, along with the flashing spear and lance.   In frenzied excitement he eats up the ground; he cannot stand still when the trumpet sounds.  At the blast of the trumpet he snorts, 'Aha!' He catches the scent of battle from afar, the shout of commanders and the battle cry. 
 Acts 16:31  They said, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household." 
1 Samuel 25:6  Say to him: 'Long life to you! Good health to you and your household! And good health to all that is yours!
Ecclesiastes 3:1-3  There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to tear down and a time to build.
1 Samuel 7:12  "Thus far the LORD has helped us".
Psalm 40:3  "He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and will trust in the LORD."
Psalm 37: 3-11    Trust in the Lord and do good; Dwell in the land and cultivate faithfulness.  Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart.  Commit your way to the Lord, Trust also in Him, and He will do it.  He will bring forth your righteousness as the light and your judgment as the noonday.  Rest in the Lord and wait patiently for Him; Do not fret because of him who prospers in his way, Because of the man who carries out wicked schemes.  Cease from anger and forsake wrath;  Do not fret; it leads only to evildoing.  For evildoers will be cut off, But those who wait for the Lord, they will inherit the land.  Yet a little while and the wicked man will be no more; And you will look carefully for his place and he will not be there.  But the humble will inherit the land and will delight themselves in abundant prosperity.
Psalm 126:5-6  Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy.  He who goes out weeping carrying seed to sow, will return with songs of joy carrying sheaves with them.
Psalm 40:17  Since I am afflicted and needy, let the Lord be mindful of me.  You are my help and my deliverer.  Do not delay, O my God.
Philippians 1:6  For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
2 Timothy 1:12  For this reason I also suffer these things, but I am not ashamed; for I know whom I have believed and I am convinced that HE is able to guard what I have entrusted to Him until that day.
Psalm 34:1-22  I will bless the Lord at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth.  My soul will make its boast in the Lord; the humble will hear it and rejoice.  O magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt His name together.  I sought the Lord and He answered me, and delivered me from all my fears.  They looked to Him and were radiant, and their faces will never be ashamed.  The poor man cried, and the Lord heard Him and saved him out of all his troubles.  The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear Him, and rescues them.  O taste and see that the Lord is good; how blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him!  O fear the Lord, you His saints; for to those who fear Him there is no want.  The young lions do lack and suffer hunger; but they who seek the Lord shall not be in want of any good thing.  Come, you children, listen to me;  I will teach you the fear of the Lord.  Who is the man who desires life and loves length of days that he may see good?  Keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking deceit.  Depart from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it.  The eyes of the Lord are toward the righteous and His ears are open to their cry.  The face of the Lord is against evildoers, to cut off the memory of them from the earth.  The righteous cry and the Lord hears and delivers them out of all their troubles.  The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in Spirit.  Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him out of them all.  He keeps all his bones, not one of them is broken.  Evil shall slay the wicked, and those who hate the righteous will be condemned.  The Lord redeems the soul of His servants, and none of those who take refuge in Him will be condemned.    AMEN!!!!!!
Psalm 1: 1-3      How blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked, nor stand in the path of sinners, nor sit in the seat of scoffers!  But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and in His law he meditates day and night.  He will be like a tree firmly planted by steams of water, which yields its fruit in its season and its leaf does not wither;  and in whatever he does, he prospers. 
Psalm 5:11-12     But let all who take refuge in You be glad, let them ever sing for joy; and may You shelter them, that those who love Your name may exult in You.  For it is You who blesses the righteous man, O Lord, You surround him with favor as with a shield.
Isaiah 55: 6-12  Seek the Lord while He may be found; call upon Him while He is near.  Let the wicked forsake his way and the unrighteous man his thoughts; and let him return to the Lord, and He will have compassion on him, and to our God for He will abundantly pardon.  “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways,” declares the Lord.  “For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways and My thoughts than your thoughts.  For as the rain and snow come down from heaven, and do not return there without watering the earth and making it bear and sprout, and furnishing see to the sower and bread to the eater; so will My WORD be which goes froth from My mouth; IT WILL NOT RETURN TO ME EMPTY WITHOUT ACCOMPLISHING WHAT I DESIRE, AND WITHOUT SUCCEEDING IN THE MATTER FOR WHICH I SENT IT.  You will go out with joy and be led forth with peace; the mountains and the hills will break forth into shouts of joy before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands.”
Psalm 71:5  For You are my hope; O Lord God, You are my confidence from my youth.
1 John 5:14-15  This is the confidence that we have before Him, that, if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us.  And if we know that He hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests which we have asked from Him.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18  Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.


2 comments:

  1. That was an amazing night and and awesome feeling of God's presence. Thank you for letting John and I be a part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so very moving, even for us that already know the story. And the pictures are just amazing. They really are worth a thousand words. Praying that this will impress on your readers the power of prayer.

    ReplyDelete